Principal Financial Internship Applications
You can find out about Principal Financial current internship recruitment and apply at Principal Financial the same time. You can review the application process for the internship program and get detailed information about the department you want to apply for. Catch a chance to make a difference in your career by doing an internship at the Principal Financial!
Available Internship Positions: Summer Intern,
Apply Online Principal Financial Intern Program
Recent Graduates & Current Students
Pursue your calling and make an impact
We know it’s important to get off to a great start with your career. Principal offers multiple opportunities to gain experience, make connections, and provide fast-tracked opportunities to learn our business from the inside out.
- The Leadership Development Program
- The Principal Leadership Conference
Take your leadership skills to the next level
Forward-thinking candidates can apply to participate in our rotational Leadership Development Program (LDP). This three-year program teaches our next generation of leaders the ins and outs of a global financial services company.
A select number of high-performing talent each year will benefit from:
- Mentorships with senior managers
- Participation in quarterly earnings call debriefs
- Leadership skills assessments and development plans
- Active engagement in learning projects with other LDP participants
- Personal interaction with analysts, investors and Principal team members
- Full-time pay and benefits
If you have demonstrated leadership skills, a proven track record of academic excellence and an appetite for challenge, the LDP may be a great fit for you.
Applications are accepted from July through September with interviews occurring in October. Create your profile to upload your resume.
Opportunities for current students
As a leader in the financial services industry with a global reach and a focus on flexibility, Principal is the perfect place to begin your career.
Gain hands-on experience with a summer internship, or earn more in-depth training with a six- to nine-month extended internship in the specific field you’re interested in pursuing—all with a competitive hourly rate, a housing allowance and opportunities for scholarships.
Interns can also enjoy:
- A collaborative, inclusive culture
- Free parking during business hours
- Fitness facilities/classes
- Social, recreational and volunteer opportunities
Internship participants are placed in high-impact, high-profile roles designed to assess their full potential and help them develop professional and technical skills.
Principal Leadership Conference
Why should you attend?
- Build relationships with industry and student leaders from across America
- Get the inside scoop on what makes you a marketable intern and job candidate
- Compete in a team-building, hands-on challenge
- Win money to apply to your college tuition
- Put yourself on the inside track for awesome internships
Applications are accepted in January and February of each year.
The IT Internship Program
What to expect as an IT intern
Our interns don’t sit on the sidelines. You’ll be an active member of our team, getting real-world experience in a supportive, inclusive environment.
Here’s what you can look forward to:
- A four-day, non-stop Code Jam where you’ll get creative free rein to develop a technical solution that will be pitched to a multinational corporation for a real, live business need. Code Jam fosters a highly collaborative work environment: innovation meets over-caffeination while you put your coding skills to work. Check out #PFGCodeJam on Twitter to see tweets from last year’s event.
- Endless opportunities such as competing for scholarships, networking with hundreds of interns from across the country, participating in professional development seminars, and interating with our amazing senior leadership.
- Financial housing assistance for you to live in Des Moines, Iowa—Forbes Magazine’s #1 Best Place for Young Professionals and #2 Best Place for Business and Careers (and the Midwest’s best kept secret).
- Working with a leader and mentor on a day-to-day basis, who will guide you as you work on real projects for us here at Principal. You’ll also work with everyone from other interns and recent college graduates to experienced professionals and management.
- An inside track to a career at Principal. Our IT internship program is a major pipeline for full-time talent. Although internships are considered temporary employment, if we like you and you like us, successful completion of an IT internship gives you a major career advantage.
Applications for our IT Internship Program open in early September of each year! Keep in touch with available openings by subscribing to the Intern career category RSS feed.
Learn what basic qualifications you need to be considered for our IT Internship Program and what other qualifications would set you apart.
- Current enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate degree program
- Exposure to the IT field through a course, club, or other related activity
- A 2.8 cumulative GPA or better and a major GPA higher than 3.0
- Exceptional communication and organization skills, a strong work ethic, and, of course, a passion for technology
- Involvement in an on-campus student organization or in the community
- Intermediate-level programming skills
- Leadership positions or initiative within student organizations or within the community
Benefits and perks
You’ll have a great time! We pull out all the stops to make your experience fun, enlightening and dynamic.
You’ll have access to employee perks, like:
- free parking during business hours
- fitness facilities/classes
- intramural sports team
- discounts at businesses around town
You’ll also be invited to join networking and social events, have opportunities to participate in charitable/volunteer activities and be exposed to Des Moines—a city that Forbes magazine named #1 on the list of The Best Places For Business and Careers and #1 on the list of The Best Cities for Young Professionals.
Roles customized to your skills
The great thing about our application process is that after you tell us your skillset, we place you in a role customized to your expertise and interests.
The following roles are areas we usually place interns in:
- Application Development: Use languages like Java and .NET to create/support software application through analysis, coding, testing, debugging, implementation and/or maintenance.
Help manage our technology infrastructure including voice & data connectivity, messaging, collaboration, mobile and desktop devices, mainframe and distributed servers and storage. The backbone of our IT organization!
Information Security/Risk Management
Be part of the first line of defense against cyber-attacks by monitoring and analyzing potential threats to our network. Work includes monitoring network traffic, malware investigation and assisting with implementing new technologies.
Be the glue that connects business partners and technical areas by gathering, analyzing, and documenting business and technical requirements for projects.
Evaluate applications to determine usability, requirement adherence, security, and performance-related problems, and leverage your technical aptitude, business savviness, and analytical investigation skills to ensure the overall quality of business applications. This role may utilize programming/scripting skills to automate validation processes for the sake of efficiency and overall coverage of system quality.
Analyze structured and unstructured data with relational databases as well as big data technologies like Hadoop. Help the business make data-driven decisions with dashboards, visualizations, and analysis of key metrics.
The IT world has a wide range of positions available! Some other positions you can hold include database analyst, UI/UX, help desk, architecture, and project management. The availability of these positions depends on year-to-year business need.
Not sure what you want to do or would like to wear multiple hats? You’ll have one area of focus throughout your internship but will gain exposure to different roles and technologies with our agile environment and other opportunities such as job shadows. There are many resources at your disposal to help you discover the best fit!
How to Apply for Intern at Principal Financial;
Using the link below you can list all current intern positions and apply to the position that suits you.